On New Take on Xavier’s Schedule: Block Periods

To Whom It May Concern:

If Xavier were to change one thing, it should be revising the schedule to block periods.  Xavier should have four longer periods a day, rather than seven shorter ones.  There are many advantages to block periods.  I know all the difficulties with a seven period daily schedule, having been using one through middle school, and now in high school.

When it comes to seven shorter periods a day, one of the issues is that you often aren’t able to accomplish much during the given time.  With only forty-five minutes per period, the teacher needs to teach the basic material and assign all work for the section usually as homework.  With a block period, which would be ninety minutes, the teacher could thoroughly explain all topics and have the students start their work that would have otherwise been homework for that section in class, in case anyone had questions.  By having that, the students will leave the classroom with a better understanding of the material.

Secondly, Xavier considers themselves a college preparatory high school, and a good one at that.  Almost all colleges, to my knowledge, utilize block period type schedules.  In order to be more college-like, wouldn’t you think it’s logical that Xavier should do the same?  If graduates from Xavier are already used to block periods, it will be much less of an adjustment to college.  This will give Xavier graduates another advantage going into college.

Everyone, at one point or another, has been stressed out, scrambling to complete an assignment just before class.  With block periods, students only have to worry about homework for four classes a night, rather than seven.  With fewer classes, students can focus more on each subject and thoroughly complete homework assignments.  When more work is completed thoroughly, grades overall are better.  See, it’s a chain reaction towards success.

Also, with block periods, teachers have to make fewer lesson plans for each day.  And, just like before, with less they can make their lessons more thorough.  They could get through their curriculum timely and fully.  So, the takeaway is that block periods can be advantageous for everyone involved.

Thank you,

Noah Taylor