Mr. Giglio – Xavier’s New Teacher

By Alexander Pralea, Reporter

Earlier this week I had the opportunity to speak to Mr. Giglio, Xavier’s new world history and economics teacher to discover who he is. Though Mr. Marinan’s boots were tough to fill, Mr. Giglio has the credentials and experience for the position.

Mr. Giglio of Wallingford is a Xavier alumnus, and graduated in 2007 as an avid player of baseball. Afterwards he received his undergraduate degree with a history major and a political science minor from Scranton University. Obtaining his masters was always a dream for Mr. Giglio, and he did so at Sacred Heart University.

After being educated, Mr. Giglio turned to educating others, and started with a half-year position at Guilford High School. He then settled into a full-time teaching job at Wilbur Cross High School of New Haven for two years. When Mr. Giglio saw a chance to return to his dream, his “home away from home,” Xavier, he ran with it.

Mr. Giglio thought the transition was not difficult, considering he had done it before. “But this time, there was something different. There were so many recognizable faces wanting to help me help others.”

At Xavier, the passionate Mr. Giglio hopes to inspire others with his own interests of US History, Joe McCarthy, and Herbert Hoover, just like Xavier inspired him to become a teacher. He also is eyeing a position as Assistant Baseball coach.

As per Mr. Giglio, Xavier “has been and is a great opportunity,” and believes the values of family and community are hard to find in other schools. Xavier’s network has allowed him to find so many people with whom he has interests Xavier is like a magnet to Mr. Giglio, and has attracted him even though he had multiple positions elsewhere. Through recommendations and the education at Xavier, Mr. Giglio has gained such positions, and is thankful to all the teachers who helped him.

The education here at Xavier transformed Mr. Giglio into a man. The exceptional teachers here filled him with a passion, a passion to help and transform like how Xavier’s rigorous environment helped and transformed him. “Teaching is hard,” he told me , “There are good days and bad ones. So you have to decide what’s your reason for becoming a teacher. Many people are interested in history, but if you want to become a teacher, you gotta make sure you love helping others. And Xavier inspired me to do just that for the next generation.”