XNN

High-School Students from Connecticut Area Showcase Design and Engineering Skills in First ®Robotics Competition game, “First Stronghold”

Back to Article
Back to Article

By Evan Rigsby, Editor

Checking in with the Xavier Robotics Team, here is a quick update regarding the upcoming FIRST® Robotics Competition.

In the FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Robotics Competition, students will have a chance to work together as a team and take six weeks to build, design, and test their robots. This competition will demonstrate science, mathematics, and technology skills and the actual competition will entail honors, recognition, and rewards.

This competition was founded by Dean Kamen in the hope of inspiring an appreciation for both science and technology in today’s youth. Statistically, FIRST is preparing for over 3100 teams. More than 1200 students will compete at the Waterbury District Competition, which will take place on March 4-6 at Wilby High School . Certain winners will then be able to hold a spot at the Championship on April 27-30 at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis, Mo.

Zoning in on FIRST STRONGHOLDSM, this is competition where two Alliances of three robots each are on a mission to breach and capture the opposing tower. Points will be determined by completed goals and breaches. In the final 20 seconds though, robots may surround and scale the opposing tower to capture it. This competition in particular will take a great deal of concentration and teamwork.

One last piece of information to include is that participating FIRST students are eligible to apply for more than $25 million in scholarships being made available by nearly 200 scholarship providers.

We wish the Xavier Robotics team the best of luck this season and stay connected with The Kestrel for more daily Xavier news!