SAT Helpline–How Can I Improve?

With the SAT approaching, many programs aim on helping students prepare for the exam.

SAT Helpline--How Can I Improve?

By Evan Rigsby, Editor

Now that the SAT season is upon us, many students don’t know where to start when preparing for  for the exam. With so many options, which option is the best? Should one buy review books? Should one see a tutor? Should one take practice exams online? No matter what route students eventually take when preparing for the exam, the few options below are a great places to start.

1. SAT Score Quest App for iPad ($4.99)

This is a free app from Princeton that acts as a practice SAT test. iPad users are able to have multiple choices alongside the question. In addition, for sections such as math, users are able to write on the iPad to work out problems.

2. Visit SAT practice on CollegeBoard.com

CollegeBoard supplies: practice tests on its website, questions of the day, and much more to help students prepare for the test. In addition to providing practice tests and questions, the CollegeBoard website supplies upcoming test dates in your area so you can register ahead of time.

3.  Visit Khan Academy.com

Khan Academy supplies students with an SAT overview as well as math and reading practice problems. Students can even utilize Khan’s full-length SAT practice test and watch videos on solutions to challenging problems. What makes this site valuable is that it is interactive.

4. Visit local preparation centers

Try visiting local test centers such as Sylvan Learning centers to take classes on strategies for preparing for the exam. Although this is probably the most costly of choices, it certainly is likely to lead to the most significant improvements.

These are just some examples on where to start for preparing for the SAT.  Having the ability to use practice tests, and the knowledge of how to solve certain problems gives students an edge.