Sitting down with Br. Brian

An interview with the Headmaster

By Jonathan Farrell, Senior Reporter

Many know Br. Brian as the headmaster of our school. We always hear him at the end of the day on Friday for the close of school announcements. He always tells us to be good and safe over the weekend, and then dismisses the juniors and seniors. Br. Brian is always around the school, saying hello to students and asking them how they are doing. What we do not know is his back story, for example where he went to high school, or why he wanted to become a Xaverian brother. Now, you get to find out.

I met with Br. Brian in his office, on a Wednesday morning to interview him for the Kestrel. I am grateful that he took some time out of his day to be interviewed, for he is a busy man tasked with running our school.

I asked Br. Brian where he went to high school, he responded by saying that he went to Xavier high school in Brooklyn, New York. Br. Brian’s favorite subject of study during his time in High school was European History. He also participated in extra-curricular activities, such a being a peer minister. He was also a member of the intramural bowling team. Right after High school Br. Brian became a Xaverian brother. When asked why he wanted to become a Xaverian brother, Br. Brian gave this answer, “I became a brother because of the example I had from the brothers at my high school.”

I then asked him about other jobs that he has held, and what he would want to be other than the Headmaster of Xavier High School. Br. Brian responded by saying that he used to be the principal of Malden High school in MA, where he also taught two religion classes. He would like to teach religion again, as well as oversee some service programs.

At the end of our interview, I asked Br. Brian what aspect of Xavier that he would change. He said that he would love to have an auditorium, and a better space for the robotic’s program.