Teacher Spotlight #1: Ms. Lataille

Ms.+Lataille%2C+center.+Coffee+cup%2C+bottom+left.+

Ms. Lataille, center. Coffee cup, bottom left.

By Dominick Delaney, Reporter

During the summer, most school buildings slumber, awaiting for new activity in September. However, this was not the case for Xavier High School. Xavier installed new solar panels, new spirit wear, and new teachers over the summer. The language department received two new teachers for Spanish and French. Ms. Lataille, the new French teacher, shared some information with the Kestrel. Here is what she has to say about Xavier High School.

Have you worked in education before? Which Level? This is my first teaching job in the United States. I studied Secondary Education in college and student taught in two different public schools in Maine. After college I taught English as a foreign language in a high school in southern France.

What led you to teaching French specifically? I started learning French in high school and loved it. I love about different languages and cultures, which lead me to move to France to improve my French. I originally decided to take French in school because of my French and Canadian heritage.

How do you like Xavier? So far I love it. Everyone has been so welcoming and kind. I can’t speak highly enough of my students and the other teachers here.

What has been a challenge in transitioning to Xavier? Transitioning into Xavier has been easy. Like I said, everyone is so welcoming and helpful! The biggest challenge for me this year isn’t so much transitioning to Xavier, but having enough time to do everything! This first quarter has been hectic, but it’s getting better and better.

Where did you go to college? What did you study? I went to the University of Maine in Orono where I double majored in Secondary Education and French. I also gained certification to teach English as a Second Language.

What are your hobbies? I love reading and art. In nice weather I love hiking, and in the winter I spend weekends snowboarding.

Where are you originally from? I’m from Hampden, Maine and currently live in West Hartford.

This school year Ms. Lataille is hoping to become involved in the school community by imbuing the school community with a passion for French. Viva la France!