Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Walsh

By Justin Caulfield, Assistant Reporter

Xavier High School has a long history of great and extraordinary teachers, each one of which with a different story. Ms. Walsh, from Suffield, recently started her career at Xavier and shared some of her story with the Kestrel.

What do you currently teach at Xavier?

I teach ninth and tenth grade English, accelerated literature and composition.

Did you teach anything else before teaching at Xavier?

Yes, I loved teaching women’s literature. I found that to be really interesting.

What brought you to start teaching?

I taught chess to kindergartners in Chicago, and that’s how I started to get interested in teaching.

How has the transition into Xavier been?

I would say wonderful. People are so kind here that it is hard to move about in the building. A simple trip to the library could take a half an hour because everyone wants to say hi and ask me how I’m doing. I find that all of my classes are joyful!

Would you consider this positive energy your favorite aspect of the job?

It’s hard to pinpoint a favorite part. I think that is definitely one of the elements.

Do you have any favorite books?

I’m not really sure where to start! In terms of YA books that are freshman level, I love reading The Hunger Games. Harry Potter I think is a little bit below freshman, but I love those books. In terms of poetry, Kahlil Gibran I would say is my favorite poet. I have several novels that I consider somewhat favorites from Irish literature that I studied at UConn, one of them being The Ghost of Belfast.

Do you have any hobbies?

Yes. Hiking, all the time. Biking, all the time. Yoga, every week. I’m very physically active. Obviously, reading is a big part of my life. Those are the big ones.

Is there anything you would like to say as a new teacher at Xavier?

I feel welcomed. I’m very happy here and excited about the rest of the year.

We at the Kestrel are confident that Ms. Walsh will be an excellent member of the Xavier community. With her passion for debate and teaching, she has not only shown her future potential but is already demonstrating how she adds to the diversity of the staff and faculty.