Trump and the Threat of Impeachment: What Does the School Think?

Following Speaker Pelosi’s decision to launch impeachment hearings, the nation as a whole has been conflicted about President Trump’s future given the possibility of his impeachment and removal from office, an issue that presents a potential political liability for both political parties. As I have found through interviewing the student body, Xavier is a microcosm of the current political phenomena, with opinions sharply delineated based on political ideology.

“There is a case to be made with the problems in Ukraine,” says sophomore Rob Mullins. “You see blatant evidence of a quid pro quo [a favor granted in return for something]. The President has taken steps to say nothing is happening. Asking with official capacity, then withholding money if the investigation does not happen is an impeachable offense. An impeachment is almost certain. A conviction is less likely.”

A student who wishes to remain anonymous echoed Mr. Mullins, saying, “The way the facts have been presented, and his lack of understanding of the rules, it’s likely Trump has done an impeachable offense.”

“I think he should get impeached, but he’s not going to get impeached,” says freshman Sean DeVito. “He has too much prominence in the Senate.”

Another student who wishes to remain anonymous says, “I don’t think he’s going to be impeached. What’s the point?”

Connor Silbo, a junior, says, “If we impeach a president solely based on political motive, that’s a dangerous slope to go down for the future of our nation. Personally, I would not support impeachment. They [The Congressional Democrats] have been after him since he’s been in office. The reasons for impeaching are more for their own political motive.”

Two students who wish to remain anonymous shared similar ideas with Mr. Silbo. The first says, “I don’t think he will get impeached. Everyone makes mistakes, but nothing he’s done is legally wrong. I don’t think it will get to the point he will get impeached.” The other says, “I don’t agree with it. From what I know, it’s all based off of Ukraine. I don’t think he did anything illegal.”

There is no easy answer to this hot-button political issue. Regardless of your opinion on Trump’s impeachment, the proceedings reflect the polarization of today’s political arena, in which objective truth is often clouded by partisan politics through a desire to scapegoat the opposing party and a reluctance to correctly inculpate politicians for their misdeeds. Only through listening to and respecting the viewpoints of different people can we hope to overcome the binary options of impeachment or exoneration and establish a political process rooted in empiricism and data.