Xavier’s 50th

Xaviers 50th

By Evan Rigsby and Andrew Cammisa

Xavier has just reached its 50th anniversary. For fifty years Xavier has been providing excellent education but more importantly living out its motto “Be a Man like Christ.” From new upcoming technology to the new additions, Xavier keeps on growing and evolving. And what better way to celebrate this anniversary than with some of Xavier’s alumni. Andrew and I were able to sit down and talk with some of them to get their take on this.

The first person we had the pleasure of speaking with was Mr. Bell. He loved Xavier so much that after he attained his degree in theology, he decided to come back and teach. Some of Mr. Bell’s favorite memories include being on the Toad’s (intermural basketball team) and going to the football games in which he still attends. Mr. Bell is still in contact with some of his old pals and some of them will actually take part in his upcoming wedding. Later Mr. Bell became head of the Student Activities Council. Mr. Bell is very excited about Xavier’s 50th Anniversary and thinks the new construction will help future generations of Xavier to come.

The next person Andrew and I spoke with was Mr. Sizemore. Mr. Sizemore is currently the 9th grade academic dean and a teacher.  He was also the co-editor and chief of the Kestrel newspaper when he was a senior. Mr. Sizemore still stays in contact with his old friends and even took part in a memorial event for Peter Genias who passed away during the attack in the Twin Towers on September 11th. Mr. Sizemore originally worked for a middle school then came to Xavier. Before coming to Xavier he worked on the Alumni board. Mr. Sizemore is enthusiastic about the new technology upgrades Xavier will be making to better suit students and teachers. The last thing that we talked about was what his favorite memories were when he was a student. He said that he loved being part of the Xavier soccer team as well as XLI, and that he also loved the influence that Mercy and the Brothers gave to Xavier.

The last person we spoke with was Mr. Russo. Mr. Russo is the librarian who works in the media center after school. When he was deciding to go to Xavier, he was originally hesitant because he thought that he did not have an option on which high school to go to because his older brother was already going there, but his parents convinced him that it was the best high school to go to. He said that he was very happy to have gone to Xavier because it taught him to “Be a Man”, and live out the message of Christ. He also said that his favorite memories of Xavier were those when he was in Dr. Duhadaway’s social studies class. Because he needed a job and remembered the Christian environment that Xavier had to offer, he decided to come back and work there. We closed the interview asking how he felt about Xavier’s 50th anniversary and he replied that he thought it was extremely impressive that Xavier has been offering structure and guidance for fifty years.

Xavier for fifty years now has been passing the tradition of “To be a Man like Christ” generation after generation. Over the years some students come back to Xavier to visit or even work there like some of the alumni we spoke with. With all the students increasing every year, Xavier holds to bringing another fifty years in the generations to come.