The Falcon’s Talk

An Interview with the Founding Father’s of Xavier’s Own Podcast

The Falcons Talk

By Christopher LoBianco, Reporter

The room is filled with the quiet intensity of professionals at work. Recording equipment litters the table and all eyes are fixed upon the holy scripture of the industry: the script. The door is shut and an “On Air” sign glows red against the windows of the room. Like the carefully choreographed launch of NASA missions long past, the countdown begins. The fingers of the producer fall. Three. Two. One. And with that, the bass drops.

By the description above you might think you’re somewhere in New York City, the radio broadcast capital of the world, and for that thought, you could be forgiven. Alas, the studio you sit in lacks the finery, multi-billion dollar equipment, and full-time staff that characterize those Manhattan establishments. Yet the passion, creativity, and professionalism found here are on par to the oldest and most prestigious of broadcasters. Yes, here in this place. Here, at Xavier High School in Middletown CT. Here, in a cramped conference room in the Galluzzo Media Technology Center. Here, in the recording studio of Falcon Talk, Xavier’s one and only podcast for all the student news, sports, and music that one will ever need.

Relative to the fifty plus years of Xavier High School, Falcon Talk is quite young. First conceived in the early spring of 2012 and officially established in the fall of that same year, there are many clubs serving the needs of the community that are far older. Despite this, in its few short years of operation Falcon Talk has grown and matured into the preferred source of student news at Xavier High School. But what exactly is Falcon Talk?

The short answer is that it is a student run club focused on a biweekly podcast which offers news and commentary on the goings on at Xavier. However, this description, like all short answers, is woefully inadequate in describing the truly unique niche that Falcon Talk fills in the Xavier community. From maintaining a highly active presence on Twitter, lighting up the social network feeds of the student body with what’s “trending” in the community, to providing personable yet professional reports on the successes and highlights of nearly every Xavier sport, to being the premier source of one’s weekly fix of #DroptheBass, Falcon Talk has everything a school news source should have- and more. A vital part in the promotion of student activities, a source of insightful interviews with Xavier’s finest, and one of the few clubs which seeks to highlight the totality of the Xavier student experience, Falcon Talk is here to stay.

Sometimes, one’s origins are as interesting and important as one’s current influence and impact, and Falcon Talk is no exception to this rule. Though now a staple part of Xavier, applauded by many and known by all, the club has not always been the well-known and well-organized machine that it is today. Indeed, as its founders themselves admit, it began as something of an experiment, more an outlet for fun and personal interests than a dedicated news service to the Xavier community. Like all new things, the development of the club took time, hard work, and sheer passion on the part of its members. Along the way, there were hurdles to jump over and milestones to stand on in equal measure. Like a boat adrift, the club moved from classroom to classroom, moderator to moderator, script to script in an effort to find its footing.

As Matthew Barry admits, “It was awkward in the beginning. The jokes fell flat and the equipment was poor quality.” Describing to me countless meetings rewriting scripts and the hurdles of getting organized, David Hoover remembers, “Writing was at times pure chaos.” Besides internal issues, the club also faced some external ones as well. From finding funding and administrative approval, to more basic ones like appealing to the greater Xavier community, the journey of Falcon Talk has certainly not been without its ups and downs. Brian Hultgren recalls, “Some segments of the student body were very vocal about what they thought it [Falcon Talk] should be. But, when you have a great idea, a dream, something your passionate about, you should follow it through. You know?”

The truth of his insightful reflection is clear when one looks back at the history of Falcon Talk. Having gained official recognition in the fall of their sophomore year, the “Founding Fathers” of Falcon Talk were able to push out more and more podcasts, with increasing content and topic diversity with each consecutive production. With three seasons and thirty-six podcasts under their belt, the club members also established a dedicated social media presence and celebrated their 100th follower on May 6th, 2014. But despite their incredible success as a start-up club, the founders remain incredibly humble and thankful for their success, especially in regard to the people who have been there along the way.

Praising the support of friends, family, and the administration, they single out a few people in particular. Above all, they see the dedication and support of the clubs moderators as integral to its success. From Mr. Brodeur and Mr. Kieda in the beginning to the guidance of Mr. Dorherty today, every single member of Falcon Talk expresses effusive admiration for the hard work and dedication of those who helped make the club what it is today.

“Especially,” adds Matt Barry, “Mrs. Cormier” [Xavier’s Technology Integration Specialist]. “Though she has moved on to pursue an opportunity elsewhere, she really gave us the structural organization, support when we were down, and certain creative ideas that have allowed us to succeed.”

Equally important the club members agree is the outside help that they have received. Professional mentors are equally important in any endeavor and Falcon Talk counts among its most ardent supporters David Fisch, anchor on the popular WMRQ Radio 104.1, and a member of Xavier’s Class of 1996. Besides giving them moral support, Fisch has brought his real-world experience in advising the club members about the intricacies of audio broadcasting and hosting a show.

But perhaps the biggest name on Falcon Talk’s list of supporters (and that list is long indeed) is Sean O’Rourke. As Matthew Barry animatedly describes, “I was going through some emails and this one pops up, with some guy saying he heard about Falcon Talk, really liked the show, the whole deal. I didn’t really think much of it until I scrolled down to the end of the email. That’s when I nearly broke down, I was so shocked.” When I ask quizzically who this Sean O’Rourke is, Matt says with a small smile, “Oh, nobody really. Just the Research Producer for the Tonight Show with some guy named Jay Leno.”

Though they will profusely deny it at times, the men, the myths, and the legends that are the “Founding Fathers” of Falcon Talk are the heart and soul of the club. While praising the efforts of their members like Connor Sullivan, David Wolmuth, Javier Melescio, and Cobbina Appiah, at the end of the day it is the tireless efforts of the first falcon triumvirate that has made the club what it is today.

But, who is David Hoover? Who is Brian Hultgren? And of course, who is Matthew Berry? According to the club members themselves they are “that tall tech guy,” “a diehard Whalers fan” and “the eternal Captain Jack Sparrow.” Outside of the club, David is a leader of the Xavier Streaming Network; Brian is a part of XOC, the Ambassadors Club, and the classical string ensemble (as a violinist); and Matthew Barry is a member of the Senior Gift Committee, the Xavier Pep Band (playing the alto sax), and National Honor Society. But it is truly Falcon Talk that defines them and that serves as the receptacle of their passions.

I asked them why they started the club, and from each I got unique, heartfelt replies. For Bryan Hultgren, the News Director, Falcon Talk serves as a channel for his inner creativity and passion for news. An avid consumer of political and national news, he sees the club as a way to “Channel my passion for communication and journalism into something beneficial for the entire Xavier community.” For the club’s Technology Director David Hoover, Falcon Talk is a way to “Satiate a love for all things technology. It’s a way for a kid who took apart and reassembled his Xbox when he was five, for a guy who likes pushing buttons and turning knobs on the soundboard, for a self admitted computer geek to do something he loves.” And for Matthew Barry, the Business Director, Falcon Talk is an experiment in the real world. In his words, “I love managing things, directing things, creating a finished product. By producing podcasts, by combining marketing and business promotion with news, I can not only do something great for the community, I can also get hands on experience with something I really find interesting and appealing.” Truly, the product of three passionate, driven individuals, Falcon Talk combines articulate news and well written scripts with technological wizardry and a pride in creating a polished, cohesive work to form something special.

As for the future, I believe that the sky is the limit for these passionate men. Not many kids can boast of starting and running a successful club in high school, and even fewer can brag of attracting the laudatory attention of both industry professionals, an institution’s administration, and the diverse opinions of a student body. Even now, standing on the impressive record of over 2,500 plays per season, Falcon Talk looks toward the future with optimism and determination. This coming January at the start of 2015, they intend to hold a large recruitment/training drive to attract new members.

Seeking to create even closer ties to Xavier High School, they envision working hand-in-hand with such organizations as the Office of Advancement, the Student Activities Council, and the Ambassadors Club to increase student social involvement and promote the “unique experience of Xavier High School” in the wider world. And, as of this writing, Falcon Talk, The Kestrel, and the Xavier Streaming Network have entered into an exciting new stage in their shared commitment to news and being the voice of the student body. Great things will come of this partnership, of this creation of the Falcon News Network.

In their closing statements, all three of the “Fathers” expressed similar sentiments. Proud of the success of the club, thankful for the opportunities that they have been given, and dedicated to maintaining the club as the source for news of all things Xavier, David Hoover, Bryan Hultgren, and of course Matthew Barry are united by their determination and passion for Falcon Talk. “Entertain them, [the Xavier community], give them the news, give them a voice, that’s what we’re here for” reflects David Hoover. “At the end of the day, we’re here for the student body, we’re here for you guys” says Bryan Hultgren. While smiling, Matthew Barry remarks “We won’t even if we break our legs, because that’s how much Falcon Talk, how much Xavier, how much this community means to us.” The small conference room of the Galluzzo Media Technology Center is suddenly filled with laughter and smiles all around, a great ending to a great interview, but just another day in the recording studio of Falcon Talk, the voice of Falcon Nation. “But before he goes,” Matthew Barry says with a smirk as I walk out the door, “Drop the Bass.”