What is The Kestrel?

By Justin Caulfield, Senior Reporter

When it comes to Xavier’s newspaper, The Kestrel, a lot of readers do not know where it gets its name. There are also people who do not even know what the Kestrel is. Readers may be questioning what a kestrel is. That question has never been formally answered before now.

The American Kestrel is the smallest type of falcon, roughly the size of a Mourning Dove. A kestrel can be identified by its white belly and brown back with black spots. Another defining feature is the pair of black slashes on the side of its face. As for where a kestrel can be found, it has varying habitats such as grasslands, meadows, and even deserts. To find its prey, a kestrel first finds a high perch on which to survey an area. After it catches sight of a target, the kestrel gracefully swoops down, catching its prey.

Much like the bird, the writers of The Kestrel are ever vigilant. Each writer is able to find a story and gracefully write an article to be read throughout the school. The articles written by the writers can spread throughout the school, making sporting events, world news, campus news, and opinions known. The Kestrel exists to both inform and entertain, and the writers are always ready to deliver such articles to the student body of Xavier.